Saturday, November 23, 2013

Gold Forever / Being Infinite

Say my name like its the last time
Live today like its the last night
We want to cry but we know its alright
Cause I'm with you and you're with me

Butterflies, butterflies, 
We were meant to fly, you and I, you and I
Colors in sky, we can rule the world someday somehow
But we'll never be as bright as we are now

We're standing in a light that won't fade
Tomorrow's coming but this won't change
Because some days stay gold forever
The memory of being here with you is one I'm going to take my life through
Because some days stay gold forever

Promise me you'll stay the way you are
Keep your fire alive and stay young at heart
When the storms feels like it will blow you out
Remember you got me, and I got you.

Butterflies, butterflies
We were meant to fly, you and I , you and I
When the innocence is dead and gone, these will be the times we look back on

I won't, I won't let your memory go because your colors, they burn so bright
Who knows, who knows what tomorrow will hold but I know that we'll be alright


We're standing in a light that won't fade
Tomorrow's coming but this won't change
Because some days stay gold forever
The memory of being here with you is one I'm going to take my life through
Because some days stay gold forever

These are the lyrics to my favorite song called Gold Forever sung by The Wanted. I first heard it a year and a half ago and since then I have been asking people about days or moments they remember as golden: the times in  your life that you will always remember as being perfect. As the song says, these are the memories we will remember when life gets hard and those people that were there are the ones who will always be there. As I am adjusting to my new life in Croatia, I want to share a few of my golden days. I have had many of these in the past four years, but I shall only mention a few here.

..... Freshman year of college I had a field trip to DC and my friend Lisle came with me. We had the perfect day of visiting art museums (my first time at an art museum, where I think I first fell in love with art) then iceskating on the mall (my very first time iceskating), then ending with a Shakespeare play.

..... Sophomore year of college my roommate Rachel came home with me for fall break. We got to drink apple cider, go through a corn maze with Jana and another friend from high school, then spend a terrific day at Cedar Point. That semester was also the semester when our friend Shelby practically lived in our room as a third roommate. We would have the absolute best dance parties and late night talks.

..... Junior year of college I was in Paris for a class trip. Krissy and I ventured off on our one night to visit my family who had just arrived for vacation. After saying hi, we went to a church service at the Sacre Cour (this is around 10pm). After the service we heard some music and went to investigate. A guy was playing his guitar and singing covers of songs to a group gathered. Krissy and sat down and listened and sang along (he sang many of my favorite songs) as we overlooked the entire city. On our way back to the hostel, we stopped to take our pictures together in a photo booth.

..... Senior year of college I went to Philadelphia with five dear friends of mine (Josh, Krista, Seth, Rachel, and Erin) for a conference. Although the conference was good, what I will remember most is the time that we all spent together, exploring the city, watching MegaMind, and taking silly pictures together. Just a week later Krista and I had an exceptional evening of drinking tea together and stargazing. I then left the next day with my roommate Ruth and three other friends to explore Istanbul together.

..... This summer when Josh, Ruth, James, and Jenna came to Colorado to visit me was a golden week! Everything was perfect and I don't know if I have ever been happier. I was in my favorite place in the entire world and with some of my closest friends, acting silly, listening to great music, and going on awesome adventures.

..... And the final one I will mention also happened this summer. Krissy came to visit for a couple of days and on the way back to Detroit to drop her off at the airport we talked a lot. I was processing a large conflict I have having with someone and she just listened and voiced her continued support. We then played Gold Forever and as we sang out loud, I knew that things would be okay because I had her in my life. I knew that Krissy would always be there for me. As would Lisle, Rachel, Shelby, Josh, Krista, Jana, Amy and the many other close friends I have. And they have been. As I have emailed and skyped with my friends, I have been able to transition to living here and knowing that no matter the storm I would be okay.

What have been your golden moments? When have you felt the most alive? And more importantly, who were you with? Who are the people that help you realize that everything is going to be okay?

I want to end this post with a quote from my favorite movie, Perks of Being a Wallflower. The movie describes this same feeling of golden moments but with the idea of feeling infinite. You probably could guess that I love this quote because it is also linked to the title of my blog. I like to see life as an infinite abyss and when we are living life to the fullest, we also feel that we are infinite.

I know these will all be stories someday. And our pictures will become old photographs. We'll all become somebody's mom or dad. But right now these moments are not stories. This is happening. I am here and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you're not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you're listening to that song and that drive with the people you love most in this world. And in this moment I sear, we are infinite.

No comments:

Post a Comment