Friday, October 28, 2011

Fall Break

Life here in Belgium has been so busy lately... I feel like I barely have time to breathe. And the problem is that it is only going to get faster from here, not slow down like I wish. Last weekend was amazing as my BCA program (with Krissy and my friend Kristen) went to Kröller-Müller Museum in the Netherlands which houses the second largest collection of Van Goughs in the world. Afterward we went back to Belgium where we spent the night at an abbey. That night has been one of the highlights of my time so far! We went to prayers and dinner with some of the monks of the abbey, then saw the oldest replica of Da Vinci's The Last Supper which was partly painted by Da Vinci himself, got served beer which was made by the monks at the abbey, and stayed up late having really great conversation with my group about religion. That was really neat because we all come from completely different backgrounds but were able to have a really meaningful conversation with each other.
The next morning after spending the night in our separate rooms, we went to mass then had time to take a lot of fun pictures together (see my facebook page). After lunch with the monks, we were picked up by my resident director and headed to a castle in the province of Liege before heading back to Brussels for a dinner of frites. This week has been full of writing a paper (on the very interesting topic of criminal jurisdiction of foreign vessels in American ports :( ) and also having a really fun game night with my host family and attending my roommate's church's bible study.
Tomorrow I head back to Paris for a four day field trip with my art class. Then my parents and brother Ryan are coming!!!!! I am so excited to see them and experience more of Europe. We are renting a car and heading first to Italy, spending one night in Genoa, then two nights in Cinque Terre. Afterward we will drive to Germany, stopping in Verona, Italy and Innsbruck, Austria. Touring the Neuenschwander castle then heading to Switzerland before driving through France and Luxembourg back to Belgium. We arrive back next Monday. They will be around until Thursday of that week, when I will also be going with them to the airport, but flying to Ireland when they head back to America.
So until then, I wish everyone a happy Halloween and I will write of my adventures when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment