Friday, June 1, 2012

Living the Reality of Each Day

          Every day is different and brings with it a different reality. Last week was really hard for me and as some wise woman reminded me, I don't like to fall. It reminds me of Relient K's song "When I Go Down." The lyrics go "I'll tell you flat out, it hurts so much to think of this. So from my thoughts I will exclude the very thing that I hate more than everything is the way I'm powerless to dictate my own moods. And I just pray my problems go away if they're ignored. But that's not the way it works. When I go down, I go down hard. It hurts to hit the bottom and of the things that got me there, I think, if only I had fought them.  If and when I can clear myself of this clouded mind I'll watch myself settle down into a place where peace can search me out and find that I'm so ready to be found."
          Last week I was tired, emotional, and a little bit lonely. All that made the rejection really hard to take. However, my summer really is not bad at all. I have already had the time to relax and catch up on sleep,  go spend time with friends out in PA, and now I am learning new lessons out in the strawberry field. I have worked harder this past week than I have in a long time, maybe my whole life. Yesterday, I picked for 2.5 hours in the morning, then planted melons and pumpkins for 4 hours before coming home for lunch and a nap, then heading back out to pick for another 2.5 hours. This morning I picked in the rain for 3 hours, then sold strawberries in a stand for 8 hours. The job may not always be fun (So far this week, my legs feel like they want to die, Monday was hot with a high of 95, My face and arms are sunburnt, the rain today was miserable, and working the stand was freezing so I had to wear 3 sweatshirts) I feel like I accomplished something at the end of the day. I love the people I work for and am making good money to pay for college next year.
          I also get the opportunity to go spend time with my grandma. Strawberries will come to an end next week and I hope to drive to Kansas on June 11. I will stay the rest of the month and hopefully Grandma and I will go out to the cabin in Colorado for a week and I can visit a couple of other friends who live out West. Then I come home and sell sweet corn for the rest of the summer. So right now I am at peace with my summer and am feeling blessed with the opportunities that it has given me.
          The other big opportunity that I have had is to do my own research. This last March I learned more about conflict minerals and the ongoing conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo. I have been doing a lot of reading and researching so far to find out what I can do to spread awareness of the conflict occurring there. There is a lot to say on the issue, but I will write on that next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment