Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Mom

          Greetings from Belgrade! Although I have many things to tell of my current travels, this blog is for my mom. Today, March 5, is her birthday. I hope if you read my Valentine’s Day blog, you already know much about my mom and how much I appreciated the way I grew up, always feeling supported and loved by both of my parents. What you might not know, is that my mom and I are opposites when it comes to personality. I am an ENFP, she is an ISTJ, if you know the Meyer’s Briggs test. I love history, big ideas, and am wildly idealistic. She is a former math teacher who thinks in more practical terms. Sometimes when I ask her a question such as, “Mom, have you ever thought how inconvenient it would be to be a giraffe and have such a long neck?” or something of the sort, she will just look at me and wonder where I came from because she would never think of such things. (Then we look at my dad and realize where the genes came from).

          But even though we are different, there is usually no one I would rather spend time with. My mom is the most loving, caring person I know. She is still the first I call when I am having a bad day. She is also the first one I call when I have big, exciting news. Through all my dreaming and crazy ups and downs, she has always been there. Sometimes she helps me rationally think through situations. In other times, she just listens and holds me when I cry. We love to watch movies together, go shopping together, and just talk. I can always be myself around her because she knows me probably better than I know myself. She is a strong, amazing woman who looks to see the best in everyone. I have learned what it means to truly love my neighbor and my enemies by looking to her example. She is a much better person than I am, and I can only hope that someday I will have as much love and wisdom to give.

Mom, there is so much to say, but I think the Backstreet Boys say it best…


It takes a lot to know what is love
It's not the big things, but the little things
That can mean enough
A lot of prayers to get me through
And there is never a day that passes by
I don't think of you
You were always there for me
Pushing me and guiding me
Always to succeed

You showed me
When I was young just how to grow
You showed me
Everything that I should know
You showed me
Just how to walk without your hands
Cuz mom you always were
The perfect fan

God has been so good
Blessing me with a family
Who did all they could
And I've had many years of grace
And it flatters me when I see a smile on your face
I wanna thank you for what you've done
In hopes I can give back to you
And be the perfect son

[Chorus]

You showed me how to love
You showed me how to care
And you showed me that you would always be there
I wanna thank you for that time
And I'm proud to say you're mine

[Chorus]

Cuz mom you always were,
Mom you always were
Mom you always were,
You know you always were
Cuz mom you always were... the perfect fan

I love you Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment