Sunday, March 16, 2014

My Osijek

          I have now lived in Croatia for almost five months and thus I have learned a lot about this country. One way in which I have tried to learn more is to ask many questions to Croatians. One of these questions is "what is your favorite thing about Croatia?" One of the answers that always comes up is the beautiful coastline. And I have to agree, Croatia's coastline is beautiful. There are also great mountains and waterfalls and Zagreb, the capital city, is a really cool city with much to do. However, I don't live near the coast, I don't live near mountains or waterfalls, and I don't live in Zagreb. I live in Osijek, a city in the east, where the largest hill is the pedestrian bridge. It is the fourth largest city in Croatia with a population around 100,000 people, but it still feels very much like a small town. Not a whole lot happens here and I have to admit, that for a while I was frustrated that out of all the places in this beautiful country, I ended up in Osijek. 
          But the more I have explored, the more I have gotten to know people, the more history I have learned, the more I have come to like Osijek. And a few weeks ago as I showed my friend Becca around, I realized that I have made this city my home. I might not be living here much longer, but I will come back to visit. And even though Osijek is not exactly a tourist destination and it does not take too long to see all the sights, Osijek does have a lot to offer. And to prove it, I thought I would give you a virtual tour. 
The cathedral on the main square

"European Avenue" with its old mansions from Austro-Hungarian times.


Tvrđa with old city walls still intact. 



Unique churches.


Iconic statues.


And my favorite, the beautiful riverwalk on the Drava. 

This is my Osijek. 

1 comment:

  1. It's great to read this, I am so glad my hometown made its way into your heart :)

    ReplyDelete