Saturday, October 4, 2014

Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants

          The title of this blog post comes from Michael Pollen's book In Defense of Food. I listened to this audiobook with my parents this summer. Although Pollen does not advocate for a vegan diet, his book has so many good things to say and has help influenced my decision to become a whole-foods vegan. I really think everyone should read this book, even if it might not interest you (my parents were kind of forced into listening to it, but even they found it really interesting). In Croatia, I didn't have too much control over my diet. I either ate in a cafeteria or cooked my own food in this tiny, really gross kitchen. It wasn't a great situation. I missed being a vegetarian and was ready for something new. I especially wanted a way to eat healthier and feel good about myself, while not counting calories or feeling guilty about eating. Whole-foods veganism was the best option for me.
          I want to say that I do not think that everyone should become vegan. However, it has now been two months and I love it. It has changed the way I approach food and eating. I eat a lot of vegetables and a lot of whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat couscous, and much more! When I buy non-produce, I am forced to read labels. For the first time in my life, I know exactly what is going into my body. Even if you are not interested in changing your diet, I encourage you to take a look at what you are eating. Often it is scary that so many things that you do not know what it is or even how it is pronounced is consumed. (I recently saw a facebook post about this where it encouraged people not to eat things they could not pronounce except for quinoa :) )
          I try to eat what is in season, which has been really easy so far. A friend of mine is currently interning at a farm and has brought me a lot of produce. I also get expired or bruised food at the co-op where I work. This has been such a great way to save money on groceries and be creative. I now look at what ingredients I have and then find a recipe. I have made a lot of kale chips as well as cauliflower quinoa curry, grilled zucchini hummus pizza, lentil vegetable soup. Cooking has been a great outlook and a really fun new hobby. And the food has been delicious! I feel like I eat good food all of the time, but I never feel guilty because I use healthy ingredients. The few times I have binge-ate, it has been on granola.
          I want to share more recipes on this blog, but for now I will leave you with one of my new staples, a green smoothie. It might look weird, but you cannot taste the spinach at all and instead get a peanut butter smoothie with tons of healthiness included! Who knew that being a vegan would taste so good?!? http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/13/classic-green-monster/

If you are interested in any recipes, want to know more, or have a great recipe to share please send me an email! julias.nicole@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment