Sunday, October 20, 2013

Across Europe

           This post will not be able to go up until I arrive in Croatia, but I thought it would be fun to record my whole journey from Geneva to Osijek. I am hoping this trip will go by with no problems, but as always when I travel, I wish for interesting things to happen along the way. And this will be my record.

October 19, 2013 4:50 pm
I departed Geneva and am on my first train to Zurich. Swiss trains seem to be really nice and much quieter than Metra (the trains from Elgin to Chicago). I take up two seats with all my luggage and myself. Nothing extremely interesting is happening. The two girls across the aisle ate speaking French, so I can't eavesdrop on their conversation.

8:29 pm
I am now on my overnight train from Zurich to Zagreb. We should be departing the station in about ten minutes. I had almost an hour in Zurich in which I did several laps around the train station, peeked my head outside, bought a sandwich and pastry, the boarded this train. I believe I have finally arrived in a land without English. My conductor brought me to my cabin, although he switched me so I would be with just one other person. I didn't really meet her, but she, her husband, and the conductor sorted out where all the luggage should fit. I am pretty sure they only speak a few words in English if any. We have tiny bunk beds in a compartment with a sink. They got my backpack up above my bed (the top one) and my suitcase is on the ground. I was confused if I was to be in my bed the entire ride, so I asked the conductor (I don't know if this is actually the right word for him. He is the one who takes care of everyone in the entire car) where I sit. After some confusion and gesturing, I learned that I do sit on my bed. Although I cannot sit upright. This will be an interesting ride... I will be here until 10:35 tomorrow morning. 
 
October 20, 2013 9:27 am
I am now in Slovenia somewhere. The night actually went really well. I liked the movement of the moving train and even though I woke up a lot and at one point had to remove my comforter because it was too hot, I slept decently. This morning my compartment mate wished me guten morgen. I responded in Croatia, because I the conductor was speaking to her in Serbian/Bosnian/Croatian last night. She invited me to sit on her bed while she went out somewhere. She then came and got her things to leave. I believe she was moving cars because the car we are on does not continue after Zagreb. I know that I will also have to do the same, but was unclear if I should move already because we are still at least an hour from Zagreb (I think... I actually don't know where we are or if I am still on time). I might should find the conductor and maybe move, but I don't feel like miming at this moment and becoming more confused. This car should definately make it to Zagreb, and there I can change cars. Slovenia is beautiful, though. I could sit here looking out my window all day! The mountains remind me more of the Appalacians, although scattered in the hills are old villages and beautiful churches. The fall leaves are gorgeous and we have been traveling alongside a river for a while now.

11:26 am
My train is just leaving Zagreb. Somewhere in the night we must have been delayed a bit, then the Slovenia and Croatian passport checks took a little bit of time, although they were both at the same stop. They came on the train, which was nice. So I guess I now have been in 19 countries! That makes me excited. The main thing I noticed about Zagreb riding in was all the graffiti. I had to get off my train, wait while they switched out the sleepers for regular cars, then got back on. Some nice man helped me with my bag and put me In the compartment with his wife. She seemed worried when I said I was going to Osijek and got some English speaker to come help. But I didn't really need the help since I know I need to get off at Vinkovci and buy a ticket there to go to Osijek. She is now reading a magazine as I stare out the window and look at my Croatian book. It is weird to finally be in the country and I look forward to the next three hours as I view the Croatian countryside. Oh, this is also the train I have been on with compartments. This one seats six, so I feel kind of like Harry Potter!

3:19 pm
I am on my final train ride of the day! Yay! I am ready to be done with trains and luggage for a while. The last train ride was spent sleeping and gazing at the countryside. Honestly, the countryside was not too exciting. The mountains disappeared with Zagreb and it was mostly fields, power lines, and small villages. Not quite as flat as northwest Ohio, though. My compartment mate wished me "happy day" as she got off the stop before me :) I cannot wait until I can have conversations with people! In Vinkovci I bought a train ticket, some Jana water (that is the brand name of bottled water in Croatia! Now I get to think of my best friend everytime I need to buy some!), and then found out which was my train. Unfortunately, I had to go down and up stairs to get to the right platform and my suitcase is so heavy I got a blister on my hand. But that is my fault for overpacking. This train is small and old,  but I am not too picky. Some kind man go my suitcase on the train for me. Once again have two seats for me and all my luggage. Now it is just 35 minutes and I will be in Osijek!

7:34 pm
I am now in my new bedroom in Osijiek! Everything went without a hitch and I was picked up at the train station by a couple from the seminary. I am so tired but wanted to post this before anything else. It is weird because I feel like I have been having this conversation all day, but in reality it has all been in my head until now. Thanks to all who read the entirety of this post... Looking back, it is not terribly interesting. I will hopefully put up a new post with my first impressions of Osijek soon. Sending my love!


1 comment:

  1. WOW! So glad you made it safely :) I was praying for you! That is fascinating that you had to sit on your bed! I'm so excited to hear about all your conversations when you are speaking the language. It will be so soon!!!

    ReplyDelete