Monday, October 14, 2013

For Good

         So here I am. Tomorrow I fly to Switzerland and begin the next stage of my life. I am full of so many emotions right now. But the one word that describes me most right now is blessed. I am feeling so incredibly, overwhelmingly blessed. On Thursday I finished up with BVS's fall orientation, and I absolutely loved my three weeks in Maryland! The group of twenty-four volunteers really connected and I loved that I could feel so a part of the group, while also having staff responsibilities. Honestly, I liked this orientation more than my own. I made some lifelong friends that I know I will stay in touch with and hear about their own adventures while in BVS.
         Then on Saturday, my best friend Jana got married. It was so good to be in Berne, Indiana (where I went to high school) and celebrate with her as one of her bridesmaids. The wedding was outside and we had beautiful weather and she was the most gorgeous bride! Even though being back in the town after over two years was hard and brought back memories of many struggles I faced while living there, I was happy to reflect on how much I have grown and changed since I lived there.
          And now I am in Pandora for my last night. I have been spending a lot of quality time with my parents and my oldest brother and desperately trying to fit everything in my suitcase. I am so excited to go, but it is going to be really hard saying goodbye to my parents. We are so close and have not been away from each other for more than two years.
         However, I know this is the right move. I feel it in my gut that going to Croatia is exactly what I am supposed to do. In some ways, I feel like my whole life has been preparing me for this moment. I am excited, but I know I would not be at this place without the deep support and love of so many people. And I would not be here without some of the struggles I have been through and the people that I didn't get along with. All have taught me who I am and has changed the course of my life.
         And that brings me to the lyrics of a song. I like to have songs to take me through transitions and there are several that fit (such as John Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane," Anna Kendrick's "When I'm Gone," Owl City's "Gold"), but today I want to dedicate the song, "For Good" from the musical Wicked to everyone who has been there with me on this journey. I am so blessed and I have been changed by all the relationships in my life.

"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me 
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from it's mooring 
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you.
I have been changed for good."

No comments:

Post a Comment